Sunday, July 20, 2014

Boys Baptism

Last month Drew and Knox got baptized!  

Drew has been asking about getting baptized for a few years now, but I kept putting him off.  I thought I needed to "teach" him more about what is means and do a study with him about it so he really understood the significance of what he was doing.  So a few months ago when our church started advertising it's yearly beach baptism I thought about how I needed to get on it and begin teaching the kids about baptism so that I could "allow" Drew to get baptized.  Well, fast forward to the week of the baptism.  Andy was out of town and I decided to take the kids to Wednesday night church.  We had a guest speaker, a pastor from Ft. Lauderdale.  He was great!  He began teaching and I was really enjoying what he was sharing with us that night.  Then he began to talk about how we don't need to have complete understanding of everything before we walk in faith.  If God calls us to do something, we should do it!  He gave the analogy of how we don't stop eating because we don't understand all the intricacies of how our body uses and digests our food.  Well, I immediately thought of Drew having a desire to get baptized and thought, "who am I to stand in the way of what he feels led to do?"  So as soon as we got in the car and began to head home I said to the boys, "Who wants to get baptized Saturday?"  Quickly I got a "me" from Drew, but I also got a "me" from Knox, which didn't surprise me since they like to do everything together.  After hearing that pastor share, there wasn't a hesitation in my mind that we had 2 boys who would be getting baptized that weekend. 

The kids and I have talked about baptism in the past, about how it's an outward display of your faith, and that you're symbolizing your death to sin and life in Christ.  Sometimes I feel like I make things too complicated, when really the Gospel is simple.  I think about how Jesus said, let the little children come to me.  I never want to stand in the way of my children "coming to Him".  Sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in the extras that I miss the point.  I desire to know the "truths" that God has given us in His Word.  I don't want to get so distracted that I miss out on what God wants to share with me.  I was recently listening to a Pastor who was challenging his congregation to "eat" the Word of God before eating physical food.  He stated how important it is to fill up with Christ to begin our day.  I can certainly attest to that.  I can tell a difference on the days that I skip time with the Lord.  I am "stretched" and I quickly run out of steam. (and patience!!)  This pastor said that he reads until he bleeds, and by that he means he reads the Bible until the Lord burdens his heart in some way, whether it's a conviction or encouragement or whatever.  He said your time may be limited that day in the bible, but God will use whatever verses you read.  I have seen that to be true.  There have been times when I read something and didn't understand it, or didn't feel it was applicable to my life, and then later that day/week God uses those verses in my life or brings them to mind to share with a friend.  The Word is alive and completely applicable today.  I wonder why so many of us feel the need to look other places when we are struggling instead of simplifying and going to God.  It's so nice to know that in Him we have all we need. 

Well, back to that special day.  The baptism was wonderful.  After visiting and playing with other church families we headed up to a pavilion where we sang some worship songs and the boys got a special shirt.  On the front it said "I have decided" and on the back it said "no turning back".  The boys waited in line and when it was their turn they went out to 2 of our pastors, and together (with Andy standing with them) they were baptized.  It was a day for rejoicing indeed!



No comments: