Sunday, August 10, 2014

Lordy, Lordy, My Big Brother's 40!

Andy and I just got back from a quick 24 hour whirlwind trip to Ocala.  We headed there to celebrate my brother Eddie's 40th birthday.  We had a wonderful time!  Andy's parents "happily" agreed to keep the kids so they were "happily" left in Tallahassee for some fun Gigi and Papa time. :)
 
Eddie and his wife Kate invited family and friends to come and celebrate with them at a local restaurant.  There was laughing and crying, and fun catching up with old friends!  It was a great night! 

 
 
 

 





 
One of the highlights of the night for me was getting to catch up with one of my favorite people Amy.  We live several hours apart, so we don't get to see one another as often as we would like, but any time I get with her is a true blessing.  I always leave feeling encouraged, inspired, and truly connected.  It's such a joy to have friendships that no matter the time apart or distance you just pick up right where you left off.  Just a cool side note, she and my brother have known each other since they were born.  There was a picture of the two of them together as babies.  So amazing to have lifelong friendships! (sorry I didn't do a better job with getting a picture of that) :)
 
 
Before dinner, my mom, dad, and I said a few words.  I shared a funny story from our childhood that has been brought up multiple times through the years, and NOT by me! :)  When we were young, we were working in the yard as a family raking leaves.  I thought it would be funny to hide Eddie's football in a pile of leaves.  Looking back, I'm not sure why I thought that would be funny, since Eddie wouldn't have been looking for it any time soon.  Anyway, later that day, having completely forgotten about the football we all hear a LOUD POP!  It took me a few minutes, and then it registered.  Let me back up for a minute.  Not only were we raking leaves, but apparently, unbeknownst to me, we were burning leaves.  Oops!!!  That loud pop was Eddie's poor football exploding in the fire.  I ran to my room and flung myself on the bed crying because I was so upset over what I have done.  Meantime, Eddie is telling my dad, "she better pay for that."  Through the years all I heard was how that was the best football he ever had.  So, 30 years later I decided that it would be a perfect time to get him a new football. :)  Let's just hope it's as good as the one I ruined. 

 

 

What my parents shared was so heartfelt and special I asked them for a copy of what they said so that I could re-read their comments again.  I asked them for permission to share a part of it here. 

One thing my mom said that really touched me is "You are a man that I am proud to say is my very own son - a man I would be honored to call "friend" even if you were not my own flesh and blood."  And it's so true.  I always describe my brother as being such a nice guy, and he's not just a nice adult, he was always nice, even when we were younger.  My mom went on the say... "although you have always amazed me with your determination and perseverance, I have also learned to respect your gentleness and humility."  That really does describe Eddie perfectly.  As long as I can remember he was passionate about building and creating, and he poured himself into this passion, working hard, learning, researching, and today is an extremely talented architect as a result.  But, the other side of Eddie is the gentleness and humility that is a part of his character.  He really does "love others" well, and as I've witnessed time and time again, put others first.   



 
Part of what my dad shared is such a strong testimony of God's mighty work that I wanted to share that as well.  Here's part of what he said.
 
"40 is a significant as well as large number, and I want to remind you of a couple of other 40s.  40 years ago your mother was in labor 40 hours before your birth, 40 minutes after we heard your first cry, the doctor took me aside and told me there was a problem.  You were born two months premature, and you had a condition known as Hylen-membrane disease.  You could not take in oxygen.  40 hours after your birth, you were taken to the adult intensive care unit and placed on 100% pure oxygen.  I was there with your Uncle Mark when your heart stopped beating, the monitor going flat.  A nurse came in and flicked your heel and your heart started again.  Your mother and I prayed night and day for you, I fasted for 3 days begging God to give you life.  We finally both prayed separately giving you to the Lord, promising that we would continue to serve Him if you were taken from us.  A week after your birth, we were called to the hospital because the doctors knew that it was just a matter of minutes before you would be gone.  We had the assurance in our hearts that God had other plans.  By the end of that long night the nurses came and told us that you were completely off the ventilator and breathing on your own.  People can explain this away as a medical anomaly, an unexplained phenomenon, your mother and I know that the Lord healed you.  Son, I want you to know that you were healed and given to us for 40 years not because we are good, or people of great faith, but because He is merciful and has a plan for your life."
 
 
 
As I listened to my dad share and learn some new details about my brother's miraculous beginning, I first gave thanks for the privilege I've had to know Eddie and have him in my life and to not only be his sister but his friend.  I was also overwhelmed by this amazing testimony of God's grace and love and healing power.  There truly is no hopelessness with the Lord.  With Him all things are possible.  Just look at my brother.  He's perfectly healthy and has a beautiful wife and adorable son, and is a walking miracle. 
 
It's easy for me to look at what I'm going through and not bring it before God because I just really don't expect that anything will change.  Not because of my lack of belief, but more a lack of dependence on Him.  I have tried to be self dependent so often, that I forget that the Lord is right here whenever I need to turn to Him and I can place my burdens at His feet.  When I was younger there was a song we sang that goes,
 
"I cast all my cares upon you,
I lay all of my burdens down at your feet,
and anytime I don't know what to do,
I will cast all my cares upon you."
 
It's amazing to me that my parents realized that at such a young age as they gave their newborn son's life to the Lord.  Eddie's life and death were out of their hands and they realized he was being cradled by our Mighty God.
 
I hope that I will remember this on a daily basis.  As I'm overwhelmed with cares and burdens and concerns, I want to lay them down at the feet of the One who knows what to do.
 

No comments: